P003 Lusail Expressway Project - Qatar
Client: Public Works Authority – Ashghal
Consultant: CDM Smith
Contractor: Hyundai Engineering & Construction, Co. Ltd.
Subcontractor: Traffic Tech (Gulf) W.L.L.
Lusail Expressway is one of the biggest among 30 road projects to be developed as part of Qatar’s seven-year expressway programme initiated in 2010 to connect people and places across the city of Doha and Qatar through 900km of new roads, involving a number of underpasses, flyovers and multi-level interchanges.
The project will involve 5.3km of four-lane highway in both directions and three major interchanges in Northern Doha, namely the Al Wahda Interchange, the Onaiza Interchange and the Pearl Interchange.
The expressway will also have two service lanes in the multi-level interchange areas, and include a complex network of tunnels, flyovers and junctions in order to meet the future traffic demands by providing easy and quick connectivity.
In addition, the project also involves the construction of two new multi-lane canal crossing bridges.
Traffic Tech has developed detailed design of:
- Lusail Expressway Traffic Control Center (TCC)
- Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) equipment on open road and tunnels
- Advanced Traffic Management System (ATMS) as one system that would monitor and control traffic on the entire length of Lusail Expressway (both open/surface road and tunnels).
The main purpose of the ITS work for Lusail Expressway is to equip it with traffic management system that provides drivers with warnings, manage speed limits, provide drivers with appropriate travel time and re-routing information, automated responses to traffic conditions, traffic density, incidents, special events and maintenance work.
This Lusail Expressway Project is equipped with highly advanced ITS components including:
- Magnetometer Detection Systems (MDS)
- Closed Circuit TV Cameras (CCTV)
- License Plate Recognition (LPR) System
- Automatic Incident detection (AID) System
- Dynamic Message Signs (DMS)
- Lane Control Signs (LCS)
- Over-Height Vehicle Detection System (OVDS)
- Weigh In Motion (WIM)
- Emergency Roadside Telephone System (ERT)
- Radio rebroadcasting System (RRS)
- Public Address System (PA)
- Road Weather Information System (RWIS)
- Roadside Controllers & Communications System
- Control Room